Saturday, July 7, 2012


Yes, there is a Mayberry

This week marks the passing of Andy Griffith, someone we all wanted to know. Actually we all want to know someone like the character he played on the Andy Griffith Show, Sheriff Andy Taylor. 
 
In the show, Andy is a widower and father to one young son, Opie. Andy's Aunt Bee acts as his live-in housekeeper and as surrogate grandmother to Opie. Andy goes fishing with his son and often spends evenings on the front porch strumming his guitar.  Andy always covers for his bumbling deputy, Barney Fife and he loves to play pranks.  He always helps the less fortunate, helps his community, goes to church, and is a giver. 

On July 6 after a hot day of work loading food in cars at the food pantry, I decided it was time for a hair cut.  I usually go to Wal Mart (I like to hear my name announced on the intercom at Wal Mart, “Larry Bays to Cost Cutters”).  But I forgot to take exit 7 so I ended up in my community of Indian Springs where there is an old fashion barber shop like Floyd's Barber Shop.   I had never been there before but decided to give it a try.  

When I went inside, my local pharmacist and friend, Michael Messamore, had just gotten in the barber's chair. Seeing Michael there gave me some comfort that this was not a butcher shop for hair.  Michael knows me well, having provided all of the medicine and chemo 5-FU for my late wife Betty.  Michael always waited on me personally and would always tell me that he, his wife Laura and daughter Sarah were praying for us.  As Michael was leaving he told me Sarah is getting married next week.  I then remembered how Andy Taylor never wanted to look like he had just gotten a hair cut.  I thought that’s why Michael was here a week before Sarah’s wedding day; he had watched Andy explain that to Opie.  Yes, there is a Mayberry!
 
Also in the Indian Springs barber shop, asleep on the couch, was my good friend Jim Fuller.  Jim and I have breakfast about once a month.  I sat down next to Jim and starting gently pulling the paper off his chest, just like Andy would do to Barney.  As the barber and Michael laughed, I tried to startle my friend Jim.  Jim eventually woke up and we caught up on what was happening in both of our lives.  We set a date for our next breakfast and argued about whose turn it was to buy.    Jim is a really good man and he comes from the good stock.  I met Jim about three years ago. He is retired from Eastman Chemical, a native of Bristol, VA, a graduate of Virginia Tech, a faithful husband, good dad and granddad, and is experienced with grief.    When I first met Jim I learned his dad was the Fuller of the Fuller Bus Line in Bristol from years ago.  I have fond memories of Mr. Fuller from a Christmas morning around 1959.  My dad loved to drive buses and would drive charter buses for Mr. Fuller on weekends.  On that Christmas morning, Mr. Fuller was out delivering ham and turkey to all of his employees just like Andy and Barney on the Andy Griffith Show.    I never forgot his kindness to my dad and to our family.  Yes, there is a Mayberry!

I have the privilege of working for an organization that helps feed over 2000 people each month.   Through this organization people in need are provided clothing, transportation, medical treatment, medicine, and financial assistance.   We are actually like Andy, we are not Andy Taylor but we are representing over 20 churches, 400 volunteers, and civic minded companies in our community.  Because of them and volunteers like Marty, Nancy,  Sally,  Bill, Bob, Mary Ann, Penny, Madelyn, Kathy, Jane, Sharon, Don, Bruce, and too many others to list, we are able to serve our community in a effective and efficient way.  Yes, there is a Mayberry!   

1 comment:

  1. Great post Larry! It's comforting to realize that in a world often seen as selfish, there are still pockets of faith and selflessness. Thanks for the reminder...and the example! Love you Pal!

    Randyman

    ReplyDelete